Carnegie Mellon University
4800 Forbes Avenue, HBH 2204
Pittsburgh PA, 15213
Office: Hamburg Hall 2204
Assistant: Kristen Yeager (Cubicle Outside HBH 2204 | 412-268-7148)
SSRN Author Page
- August-22: I was quoted in a Variety story about streaming platforms, and the importance of brand and data for attracting and retaining customers.
- June-22: I published an editorial in The Hill discussing President Biden’s proposal to forgive student loan debt.
- April-22: I was quoted by The Hill in a story about the future of CNN+ and other streaming news platforms.
- April-22: I was quoted in a story about Netflix’s new “two-thumbs up” features and how it helps the platform better understand its user’s preferences.
- March-22: I gave a talk to the Virtual Digital Economy Seminar titled “The Abundant University: Remaking Higher Education for a Digital World”
- January-22: I have a co-authored paper titled “Bestseller Lists and Product Discovery in the Subscription-based Market: Evidence from Music Streaming” which is forthcoming in the Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization. In the paper we analyze the impact of bestseller lists on song discovery, and find that being added to the top 100 chart on a major Korean streaming platform causes an 11-13% increase in song discovery.
- December-21: The Harvard Business Review’s “Insight Center” covered “Taking on Digital Transformation” in December and I contributed a piece titled “Lessons from Hollywood’s Digital Transformation.”
- November-21: I was interviewed by NPR Marketplace on Netflix’s decision to share detailed viewership data about their top 10 programs.
- October-21: Rahul Telang and I co-authored a piece discussing our piracy research for Creative Content Australia’s “Content Café” Insider Insights Interview Series.
- September-21: I participated in a panel sponsored by the Hudson Institute titled “Copyright Protection in the Digital Age.”
- September-21: Marshall van Alstyne and I co-authored a piece with Story Partners discussing how Section 230 can be reformed to protect children from online harms.
- August-21: I was quoted in a Wall Street Journal article about the impact of online piracy during the pandemic and our research showing that increasing the cost of accessing pirated content causes pirates to switch to legal consumption (see here, here, here, and here).
- August-21: Marshall van Alstyne and I have a piece in today’s Harvard Business Review online discussing platform accountability and the need to reform Section 230.
- August-21: I was quoted in a story about Netflix’s use of data to greenlight niche shows.