Carnegie Mellon University
4800 Forbes Avenue, HBH 2204
Pittsburgh PA, 15213
Office: Hamburg Hall 2204
Assistant: Kristen Yeager (Cubicle Outside HBH 2204 | 412-268-7148)
SSRN Author Page
- February-19: I participated in a research symposium on “Safe Harbors and Private Ordering” hosted by the Center for the Protection of Intellectual Property.
- January-19: My paper with Jeffrey Hu and Hailiang Chen was published in Management Science. In the paper we analyze the impact of delayed Kindle releases on hardcover book sales and overall book sales. We find that delaying Kindle availability has very little impact of hardcover sales and significantly hurts Kindle sales.
- October-18: I presented “The Impact of Piracy Notice Sending on Consumer Behavior for Entertainment: Evidence from a Randomized Field Experiment in the UK” at the Center for the Protection of Intellectual Property Fall Conference “IP for the Next Generation of Technology”.
- September-18: I presented “The Impact of Piracy Notice Sending on Consumer Behavior for Entertainment: Evidence from a Randomized Field Experiment in the UK” at the 2018 Mallen Conference on Filmed Entertainment Economics.
- September-18: Liron Sivan, Rahul Telang, and my article studying the impact of pirate links in search engine results was accepted for publication at Management Science. Our research shows that moving pirate links from the first page of search results to the second page causes a significant reduction in piracy and a significant increase in legal purchases. We also find that this change occurs even among consumers who initially express a desire to pirate content.
- September-18: I gave a keynote presentation at the Fifth Korea Cultural Contents Forum on “Big Data and the Future of Entertainment.”
- September-18: My paper with Hal Varian and Seth Stephens-Davidowitz titled “Super Returns to Super Bowl Ads?” was awarded the Dick Wittink Award for the best paper published in Quantitative Marketing and Economics in 2017.
- August-18: I was a discussant on “Streaming Video: Meet the Pirates” at the Technology Policy Institute Aspen Forum.
- August-18: Michael Smith was quoted in an NPR story about the future of the online streaming industry.
- June-18: I presented results on the effectiveness of anti-piracy measures in the UK at the 2018 Music Industry Research Association conference.
- June-18: I was featured in a Bloomberg article about the Department of Justice’s role in future merger enforcements within media.
- June-18: I was a panelist for “Trust in Storytelling: Can Content Creators Ever Win?” at the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers, Entertainment Technology @ 2018 Conference in Sunnyvale, California.
- June-18: Rahul Telang and my opinion piece, “Godspeed to AT&T-Time Warner” was featured in The Wall Street Journal.
- March-18: I was quoted in a Deadline story about the AT&T-Time Warner merger case.
- March-18: I was quoted in a Bloomberg Law story about the AT&T-Time Warner merger.
- March-18: Rahul Telang and I published an opinion piece in Fortune arguing that the Department of Justice’s decision to block the AT&T Time Warner merger will hurt consumers in the long run.
- March-18: I gave a talk at the Loyola Law School on “The Economics of Intellectual Property and Consumer Behavior”.
- February-18: I gave a talk at the NBER Digitization Tutorial on “The Economics of Entertainment Digitization”.
- January-18: Rahul Telang and my article, “Data Can Enhance Creative Projects — Just Look at Netflix” was featured on Harvard Business Review.