Carnegie Mellon University
4800 Forbes Avenue, HBH 2204
Pittsburgh PA, 15213
Office: Hamburg Hall 2204
Assistant: Kristen Yeager (Cubicle Outside HBH 2204 | 412-268-7148)
SSRN Author Page
- March-21: I wrote about the future of higher education credentials in a series titled “Building a brighter future: Big ideas for post secondary education.“
- March-21: I was quoted in a New York Times article discussing Netflix’s efforts to control password sharing piracy on its platform.
- January-21: I co-authored a piece in the Harvard Business Review online which shows that the early availability of movies on streaming channels may not significantly harm theatrical sales.
- December-20: The Harvard Business Review covered my research with Uttara Ananthakrishnan and Beibei Li on how platforms should deal with fake reviews.
- November-20: I was interviewed by NPR Marketplace about how the blurred lines between live and recorded performances are impacting artists.
- November-20: I was interviewed by the EPIDEMIC podcast about how the COVID pandemic will change higher education.
- October-20: I co-authored a piece in the Harvard Business Review online discussing recent research on the potential promotional impact of piracy.
- October-20: I was interviewed by NPR Marketplace for a story about Disney’s reorganization to focus on streaming.
- September-20: I was interviewed by NPR Marketplace for a story about the sale of Quibi’s assets.
- September-20: I was interviewed for a story on CMU’s homepage titled “Higher Education Was Already Ripe for Disruption. Then, COVID-19 Happened.”
- September-20: I was interviewed by NPR Marketplace for a story about Apple’s new Apple One service.
- September-20: I was interviewed by Foreign Policy on the question “Will Universities Ever Return to Normal?” Short answer. “No.”
- July-20: I was quoted in an NPR Marketplace story about the interplay between reopening Disney’s Parks and the launch of the Disney+ streaming service.
- June-20: My article titled “The University Is Like a CD in the Streaming Age” was published in The Atlantic. In the piece, I argue that everything that just happened to the entertainment industry in terms of technological disruption is about to happen to higher education — and we must rediscover our core mission as educators if we hope to maintain our relevance in the marketplace.
- June-20: My paper with Uttara Ananthakrishnan and Beibei Li on Fraudulent Reviews is forthcoming in Information Systems Research. In the paper, we show that online platforms can increase consumer trust by displaying potentially fake reviews alongside legitimate reviews instead of the more common practice of censoring fake reviews.
- June-20: Rahul Telang and I were quoted in a piece on Techxplore about our research into the impact of site-blocking in the UK.
- June-20: I was quoted in an NPR Marketplace story about the rise of Zoom during the COVID outbreak.
- June-20: My paper with Brett Danaher, Jonathan Hersh, and Rahul Telang on the impact of pirate website blocking on legal consumption appeared in this month’s issue of MIS Quarterly. In the paper we analyze ISP-level site blocking in the UK and find that blocking a single site in 2012 “caused no increase in usage of legal sites but instead caused users to increase visits to other unblocked piracy sites and VPN sites,” but that the subsequent blocking on 19 pirate sites in 2013 and 53 additional sites in 2014 “caused treated users to decrease piracy and to increase their usage of legal subscription sites by 7-12%.”
- May-20: I was quoted in a story about the role of cellular services in the streaming wars.
- April-20: I was quoted in a story about the importance of fighting piracy during the COVID lockdown.
- April-20: Brett Danaher, Rahul Telang, and I completed a Piracy Landscape Study for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. The paper is available as part of their Economic Working Paper series.
- March-20: I provided testimony to The Senate Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee on Intellectual Property at a hearing entitled “Copyright Law in Foreign Jurisdictions: How are other countries handling digital piracy?”.